Lemons originated in the Middle East.
Lemon trees were first planted in America by Christopher Columbus.
Italy now leads the world in lemon production.
So let's talk lemons....
Did you know:
- that drinking a cup of warm water with lemon juice in the morning stimulates the liver to make bile so you will digest food more easily
- 2 to 3 drops of lemon oil mixed with avocado, jojoba, or almond oil and rubbed on spider veins daily is supposed to diminish them by strengthening the veins
- 10 drops of lemon oil in 1 1/2oz of sunflower oil makes a homemade insect repellent that can be rubbed into the skin [not recommended for children under 10]
- fresh lemon slices applied to corns or calluses and secured with a band aid helps remedy the affected area
- the juice of 1 lemon squeezed into a glass of lukewarm water and swished in your mouth will quicken the healing process of canker sores
- lemon juice applied to the skin before sunning supposedly keeps sunburn away
- when applied to the hair after rinsing it, lemon will give it more shine and volume
- because it is a natural antiseptic, lemon helps start the healing of small cuts and sores
- lemon can be used to alkalize standard lukewarm tap water
- lemon juice contains magnesium, potassium, and calcium...not to mention vitamin C
- a teaspoon of lemon juice added to a pot of cooking rice will keep the rice from sticking
- rubbing a paste of lemon juice and salt on the surface of your sink will make it shine and kill bacteria
- throwing fresh lemon rinds into the fireplace will remove stale odors
- a glass of lemon water with 1-2 teaspoons cold pressed extra virgin light olive oil mixed in may make it easier to pass kidney stones
- if you bite into a lemon it will redden your lips
- adding 1 teaspoon of lemon juice when boiling eggs supposedly insures ease in peeling
- lemon juice applied to stained clothing that is then hung in the sun may remove the most stubborn stains and white sneakers sprayed with lemon juice and set in the sun works too
- a slice of lemon rubbed under the arms can be very effective as a chemical free deodorant
I haven't tried all of what I listed above, but thought many were interesting and plan to put a few to the test. How about you? Do you know of any amazing things that lemons do? Please share if you do.